Got a little bonus post here for ya. It seems all the “famous” or should I say “successful” bloggers always recommend staying consistent. I take that to mean I should be posting daily or somewhere close to that. Well, my fellow fashionistas, I am sorely lacking time. Yes, I’ve mentioned that before, but it is so true. It takes a long time to do a post so I was thinking that I could do a little mini post for your entertainment until I am able to do a full-on, educational and inspirational post like I normally do (HAHAHAHA). Anyway, for those of you who are IGers, you are probably very familliar with the term “style challenge”. Yep, they’re all over the place on Instagram. I, for one, LOVE them and I find that they are helpful as well as fun. I am a big believer that fashion should make getting ready in the mornings a little less dreadful. I mean, let’s face it, the morning routine can be pretty mundane. Why not add a little excitement to it?? Whether it be a new foundation or lipstick, or an outfit that makes you feel awesome, something should make you look forward to getting dressed in the mornings. For me, it’s pretty much all of the above. I’m a girly-girl and I love makeup. I also love bright colors, dresses/skirts, and jewelry. My closet closely resembles a hoarder’s, but at least I have something to look forward to in the mornings. I love putting outfits together and style challenges certainly give me a lot of ideas. Sometimes when I follow a particular challenge, I end up getting inspiration for a really creative outfit that I would have probably not come up with without the prompt on that particular day. I have found, too, that Instagram and the various challenges have really helped me find my fashion fingerprint, or my unique style. I have always been a little “different” when it has come to clothes (as my Sis can attest), but IG has helped me become more confident about what I wear. I have discovered that I don’t care what people think of my clothes nearly as much as what I used to. I honestly think the older I get, the crazier my style gets. I’m either coming out of my shell or losing my mind. Either one can probably apply. In saying all that, I want to share with you a style challenge I hosted myself for the month of August. First of all, I have to tell you that I’m a HUGE AC/DC fan and I will be rocking out to them live next week in Detroit. I cannot wait. (For concert attire ideas, go to this older post) I’m telling you this info for a reason…you see, my style challenge was made of up of AC/DC songs for the daily prompts! I think my IG friends really had fun with it. I’ll be coming up with another pretty soon too! If you’re not on IG and you love fashion, you REALLY need to get on board!!
Anyway, let’s get to it…below is the challenge I came up with for August. I found that AC/DC does not have a lot of songs with anything fashionable (imagine that) so I had to improvise…a lot.
Some of the prompts are pretty funny, but hey, they work!! I have hosted a few other style challenges as well and they have all been based on music (of course). One was for February (Valentine’s theme), one for March (St. P’s theme), and one in July for to celebrate the Rolling Stones in concert in Indy.
So, how do you follow the style prompts, you ask??
- Figure out what challenge(s) you want to follow. Follow me on Instagram @loopyscorpio if you want to see the ones I follow monthly. You can do one or several or the same one every day or different ones every day. It doesn’t matter. It’s completely up to you!
- Find the style prompt for that particular day. For example– August 1st: “Shook Me All Night Long Dress”
- Interpret how you want. You could take “Shook Me All Night Long Dress” to mean night=black or dark blue, or to wear a dress, or wear a long dress, or even a dark colored long dress, etc, etc… Again, up to you!!
- No overthinking. Don’t think your outfit is not good enough or that you’re not following the prompt correctly. Seriously, it just isn’t that deep. It’s for fun and inspiration, ladies!! You never know, your idea may be completely different than anyone else’s and you could inspire someone!
- Let the prompts help you get more organized. Go through and figure out what outfits you may want to wear that go with the prompts. You can get your outfits together for an entire month if you really want to! I cannot do that. I throw stuff on the last minute every single day. I wish I could tell you I have my s#it together a little better than that. But I do not.
- Explore your creative side and have a BLAST!!!
- Get dressed!
- Force your significant other or your kid to take your picture. Outside is best in the AM or the evening for ideal lighting. Don’t have a photographer? Well you need to take a selfie. Get a selfie stick or you’ll just have to perfect the art of the perfect self portrait. It can be difficult and you will probably have to take 82 of them before you keep one.
- Don’t have anywhere to go but you have an adorable outfit in mind? Do a flatlay. That’s right. Lay all your pieces out in an attractive layout and take a pic. I have yet to master this.
- Hit post!! Show off that wonderful, creative, fun, perfect OOTD and don’t forget the #hashtag(s)!!
I combined all of my outfits in a Photogrid pic and had to add a couple to make it even. They are pretty jumbled up but you get the idea. As you can see, I love my bright colors and will probably continue to wear them throughout the year. I don’t let old man winter slow me down!!!
For a better view of each outfit, click the button on the right to follow me on Instagram!! Be there AND be square!! See ya!